
External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar has expressed India’s concern over the recent developments in Venezuela, where US forces carried out airstrikes and captured President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, in a dramatic operation on 3 January. He called on all parties to engage in dialogue and ensure the well-being of the Venezuelan people.
Speaking at an event in Luxembourg on Tuesday, Jaishankar said, “We are concerned at the developments, but we would really urge all the parties involved to now sit down and come to a position which is in the interest of the well-being and the safety of the people of Venezuela.”
Highlighting India’s long-standing relations with Venezuela, he added, “At the end of the day, that is our concern, that we would want Venezuela, the country with whom over many, many years we’ve had very good relations, and people to come out well from whatever is the direction of events.”
Earlier on Monday, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) issued a statement expressing deep concern about the situation in Venezuela. It reaffirmed India’s support for the safety and well-being of Venezuelans and urged all parties to resolve issues peacefully through dialogue. The statement also noted that the Embassy of India in Caracas is in contact with Indian citizens in Venezuela and is providing all possible assistance.
The MEA further advised Indian nationals to avoid non-essential travel to Venezuela amid escalating tensions and urged those already in the country to exercise extreme caution.
US Operation And Court Proceedings
The crisis escalated after a US military operation, reportedly involving elite Delta forces, captured Maduro and Flores from their residence in Caracas. Both were flown to the United States to face charges including narco-terrorism, conspiracy to import cocaine, and possession of firearms and destructive devices.
In a federal court in New York on Monday, Maduro pleaded not guilty, asserting that he was “captured and kidnapped” and maintaining that he remains the legitimate President of Venezuela. “I am a decent man, (I am) the president of my country. I am innocent. I am not guilty of anything that is mentioned here,” he said.
Flores also pleaded not guilty, stating that she was “completely innocent” of the charges.
Maduro faces four counts related to drug trafficking, including alleged coordination with Mexico’s Sinaloa and Zetas cartels, Colombia’s FARC rebels, and Venezuela’s Tren de Aragua gang. He has consistently denied involvement, claiming the charges are a cover for “imperialist designs on Venezuela’s rich oil reserves.”
Following Maduro’s capture, Venezuela’s Vice President Delcy Rodriguez was sworn in as Interim President by the nation’s apex court.
India’s primary concern, as articulated by Jaishankar and the MEA, remains the safety and well-being of the Venezuelan people amid the unfolding crisis.
(With IANS inputs)





